Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at hermes.otago.ac.nz
Wed Feb 2 02:04:40 UTC 2000

	That's not a Squeak problem except that your sources or changes file is
	munged - probably because you're on a Mac and UnStuffIt/StuffIt Expander
	did you the "favor" of converting line endings, thus disrupting the offsets
	into the file Squeak uses to fetch the source of methods.  This is the MFAQ
	for new Squeak users, and a frequent topic on this list.  Please don't
	cosider it a weakness of the language - any language's source files can be
	damaged.

Of course it isn't a weakness of the Smalltalk language,
but it *is* a weakness of the Squeak implementation that things
can go this wrong with a key file without the system noticing.

In previous messages I reported some timing tests I did which showed that
checksumming key files need not be a performance problem; least of all is
this so during installation!

If the standard installation process on a Mac (download the file, click
on what you get and let it unpack itself) doesn't work, what _should_ I
do to get a working current Squeak?