Musings?

Charles-A. Rovira crovira at wt.net
Fri Feb 18 05:04:42 UTC 2000

Hello Mike,

you're on a Squeak! Smalltalk list and you wonder why you're running into so
many 13%ers?

Actually many Smaltalk devotees were Forth (Dave Thomas of Carleton U and OTI
fame,) and Neon devotees (my humble self,) before discovering ST-80 (in my case
on 4 diskettes from Apple for my 512ke Mac) before we both got into
Smalltalk/V.

I still think TILs are great and I have MOPS on my Mac. Okay, I have Perl,
Roaster (Java), C, Lisp, three flavors of Smalltalk, RealBasic, etc.

I used to have an Osborne 1 too (the first ones with the beige fiberglass
sewing machine case,) and I used it as a language lab and had every language
implemented for the Z80 on diskettes for it. Janus Ada, Pascals, Mouse (I knew
Peter Grogono at the time,) C, Tiny-C, Basics out the wazoo, PL/I subset-G
Lisps, Prologs, Fortrans (No COBOL please, I had some self-respect :-). (It was
even useful when later I wrote and implemented my own Pascal-like language for
a lame-*ss Keronics EDS Point-4 DataGeneral knock-off machine.)

We're probably all reverse Polish notation freaks and HP calculator lovers too.

What we "grok" the remaining 87% of the MIS population just doesn't get. Its
lonely at the top :-)

-Charles-A.