Image for beginners [was Re: warren _ squeakUser new.]

Cullen J O'Neill cjon at engin.umich.edu
Tue Feb 22 17:02:38 UTC 2000

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Doug Way wrote:

> It's available at:
>
> http://www.charm.net/~arning/SyntaxMorph.24Aug623pm.cs
>
> (It also works in the debugger, which is a lot of fun. :-))

I'm putting together an image for beginners and I'll be sure to include
this.  I'll need to be done by this Friday, since that's when the class
will need to start on Smalltalk, so I'm not being too ambitious...

Does anyone know of any other similar tools that can be used for
similar pedagogical purposes?

I'm already including an inspector on The Globals, etc... (ie: I know
about the stuff in Utilities) and turning on the optional buttons, inboard
scrollbars (thin), and I'm debating whether to turn on browse w/ pretty
print (and color) (ie: I also know about most of the Preferences).

I'm also trying to figure out what exactly the noviceMode preference
does...  It does seem to supress the world menu in Morphic, which doesn't
seem desirable to me, but its functionality is scattered all over the
image, so I don't yet have a clear handle on everything it does. Does
anyone know where I can find a clear explanation?

Any suggestions/pointers are appreciated,

Cullen J O'Neill
cjon at engin.umich.edu