How Do You Do Business Apps? (Squeak/Pro Proposal)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Feb 24 20:32:50 UTC 2000

Most of your proposal sounds great (except that if I could personally afford
to pay someone to develop squeak stuff, I'd probably pay myself :)).  I have
issues with a few of your issues, however:

> * either a couple of PD or licensed fonts or maybe OS loadable fonts (if
> legal),

The current fonts are for all practical purpsose free, right?  Now maybe
we need *better* fonts, but that's a different issue.

> * command line scripting,

Squeak already has this.  "Squeak myimage.image myfile.st".  Now it
could be more *useful*, but that seems like a different issue.

Also, I don't think Squeak's biggest selling point is scripting, anyway.
 Even for an app that is ultimately headless, I'd generally prefer to
use the GUI to *develop* the app.

> * VM GUI events (maybe), and

What do you mean here, exactly?  Morphic uses events for most
everything.  If you are talking about having the VM pick up mouse click
events instead of polling the mouse state, well, that would be nice, but
it hardly seems like a critical issue for most people.

Lex