Alice99

Aran Lunzer aran at meme.hokudai.ac.jp
Thu Feb 10 09:20:44 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Running Squeak remotely generally is a Bad Idea. If you really
> need to, someone recommended using VNC
> (http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/) which
> is way faster in transferring bitmaps than the X protocol.

Well, with a throbbing Sun Enterprise in the server room just longing to
chew bytecodes, remoteness is the only way to go.  But the difference in
using VNC is astonishing.  The setup I now have - remote login from an
Indy - allows 1024x768 24-bit display refresh in under 0.2s.

Suddenly it all feels like a grown-up development environment.  It's
amazing what one can get used to, though - when playing with Squeak in
the autumn I only really noticed the sluggishness of the straight
X-based setup when it was contrasted with the slickness of the
VisualWorks environment in which I keep my notes.

One odd thing I've noticed in trying out VNC is some flickering:
fleeting appearances of small erroneous colour patches when a view is
updated.  The most striking example (because the flicker happens
continuously) is in the Alice display window of its "Play With Me" demo.

Anyway, thanks for changing my world!

Aran
Aran Lunzer                 aran at bigfoot.com
Meme Media Laboratory       lab: +81 11 706 7262 / fax 7808
Hokkaido University
Sapporo 060-8628, JAPAN     http://ca.meme.hokudai.ac.jp/people/aran/