Of source code lost in eternity

Bert Freudenberg bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Fri Jan 14 08:16:59 UTC 2000

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 11:34 11.01.00 +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
> >> Sounds like the role of a moderator to me.
> >
> >I'd say he who started the thread shall be responsible ;-)
>
> Hm, I volunteer to help but my time is limited and to change that I'd first
> have to convince my new boss that Java isn't the answer to all questions.
> It that's successful, I might be even able to work officially on Squeak.

Actually I didn't mean you, Stefan, but the one who first posts a FIX
should watch the thread, gather results and submit the final version.

> >> And what is the difference between [GOODIE] and [ENH] anyway?
> >
> >IMO, a goodie is more like a self-contained application, while an
> >enhancement adds something to existing facilities. A fix corrects
> >something that's broken, so probably will get included in the official
> >update stream, which might or might not happen with the other stuff.
> >"Addon" is a synonym for "goodie".
>
> We should put that definition somewhere...

... if others agree. We're both no native speakers, so there might be
other opinions. For example, the FAQ on minnow states that a goodie is
just any "filed out piece of code". If this is the general definition in
the Smalltalk community (which I am a member of only for a few years) the
above definition is wrong.

  -Bert-