Popup Menus

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Mon Jan 17 18:42:41 UTC 2000

This is the intended behavior. Actually there are two behaviors,
depending on how long you hold the mouse button down: 1) click for the
menu, position on menu item, click to select the item, or click
elsewhere to dismiss the menu (Win95/98/NT-like); 2) click and hold
mouse button to bring up menu, position on menu item while holding,
release mouse button to select item, or release elsewhere to dismiss the
menu (Mac-like). I personally find the click, position, click, behavior
far easier on my RSI. There is another nice feature -- you can "grab" a
context menu that you've just clicked up by any of its edges and move it
elsewhere.

garau at ar.ibm.com wrote:

> Hi,
> I noticed a change in the way the pop-up menus behave.
>
> In version 2.6 when I clicked on the desktop (in MVC or the World in
> Morphic) a pop-up menu appeared and it stayed as long as I have the button
> depressed.
> In version 2.7 I click on the desktop and the menu will stay up (with
> nothing selected) until I click again elsewhere. It's kind of annoying to
> see a menu that stays up and at the same time displays a item telling you
> 'keep this menu up'... (to be more specific, I am talking about
> ScreenController>>projectScreenMenu).

I don't see any conflict -- 'keep this menu up' does exactly what it
says - it makes the menu remain up persistently, even after a menu item
has been selected, but the new behavior only keeps the menu up until an
item is selected or you click elsewhere (or you can still use the
previous Mac-like click, hold, position, release and the menu goes away
just as it always has).

> If you fileIn the MorphicWrappers, this problems is increased because with
> this package, you very often click on the World, so that you can start
> "typing on the air". But with 2.7 every time you click on the World, a new
> World menu will appear and stay there until you pass over it (without
> selecting anything).

Sounds like something that would be ideal to add to the new "personal"
menu (right-click on the World) rather than trying to alias the "click
on World" behavior to bring up both the World menu and the "type on the
air" behavior.

-- Dwight