Classic St articles [Re: [comp.lang.smalltalk] The BYTE Balloon Image IS Free!! ->poster?]

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Thu Jan 27 06:39:53 UTC 2000

Les Tyrrell wrote:

> I'd volunteer to proofread- those were great articles!

I would appreciate the help - but I want to nail down all the
permissions for an article before either of us put the effort into
finishing any of these papers off.

>                                                        I also have
> quite a few articles from the literature that over time ought to be
> made more visible to newcomers.

Let me know offline what articles you have and which ones you would most
like to see put online. My collection is still rather incomplete, so you
very likely have some I don't.

>                                Perhaps a Swiki page could be
> set up on the topic of Smalltalk evolution, so that folks could at
> least be made aware of the earlier papers, even though for a while
> they might not be obtainable online? My own server is available if
> you would want to use that to dedicate a whole Wiki to the topic,
> or minnow would be fine too.

I like that idea - it would give a central point of reference and for
online links. I think I may just begin by adding some reference pages to
my site on this - it would be a very nice addition to the rest of the
info. I'll add some pages this weekend. I've been needing to add some
general history pages to my site too.

BTW, one thing I don't have at the moment is a complete BYTE August 1981
issue. Several years ago, for some strange reason, I took the issue
apart into its articles and now I cannot find all of them (seemed like a
good idea at the time I guess - I sometimes to do this with especially
good articles in various magazines rather than having the whole issue in
the way). So if someone has a clean extra copy of the BYTE August 1981
issue, that you wouldn't mind loaning out to me for a while, I would
very much appreciate it. I promise not to take it apart. Let me know
offline if you're interested.

-- Dwight