Squeak-related employment information sought

Andrew P. Black apb at cse.ogi.edu
Tue Jan 25 06:58:15 UTC 2000

At 2:06 -0500 2000.1.21, Mark A. Schwenk wrote:
>My current concern is in developing an object persistence strategy
>for information systems in Squeak. I have developed the foundations
>of an object-relational mapping scheme with an interface to the
>MySQL database, but I'd like to investigate other areas before
>putting a lot more effort into that. The app has evolved from
>providing read-only access to information to now starting to provide
>the ability to modify information. For the moment, information is
>just stored in the image, with occasional exports to flat files of
>the modified information. I had deferred actually using the mapping
>framework while waiting for some updates from the original author of
>the code to provide support for using metadata rather than lots of
>class specific mapping code.
>
>Inspired by Ted Kaehler's LOOM, I have been pondering how the Object
>Memory portion of Squeak could be enhanced to provide persistence,
>at least for some classes of objects.
>
>I've also been pondering how the Berkeley Database libraries from
>www.sleepycat.com could be used with Squeak to provide persistence.

Elliot Moss (at U.Mass Amhurst) has a language independent object
memory called Neame (or maybe Neme?).  Malcolm Atkinson's group in
Glasgow, Scotland, have been working on a new object memory,
targeting Persistent Java.  Either of these might provide an
interesting alternative to "Object-Relational".

	Andrew