HangMan, II (Stupid Letter Tricks)

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Wed Jan 19 03:15:22 UTC 2000

At 11:30 +1100 1/19/2000, Eric Ulevik wrote:
>From: David N. Smith (IBM) <dnsmith at watson.ibm.com>
>>  You can also get the code at http://www.dnsmith.com/squeak.
>>
>>  There is a free product called Aladdin Expander which will expand
>>  anything including Mac formats, ZIP, MIME, etc. It works recursively,
>>  so a UUENCODED MacBin, of a ZIP file all gets unwound. It runs on
>>  Macs, Windows, and DOS. While it's better for a sender to get it
>>  right, Expander will take care of the problem when someone goofs. One
>>  big plus is that it also expands ZIP files, doing just the right
>>  thing, and without having to remember 7 command line flags.
>>
>>  Try:  http://www.aladdinsys.com/expander/index.html
>
>The big minus is that the software corrupts data. It does not preserve
>complex directory structures when expanding some ZIP files. Aladdin Expander
>should not be used.
>
>Regards,
>
>Eric Ulevik

Eric:

Is this a general known bug? Does Aladdin know if it? Do they refuse to fix it?

If they know of it and won't fix it, I'm a little surprised, since
Aladdin has been known for quality Mac archiving and compression
products for 15 years. PC magazine just gave a rave review of it.

I hate to recommend something that is no good; can you help me with
more info in this corruption bug?

(No, I own no stock, etc.)

Dave
David N. Smith