Presentations in Squeak (Was: Where is the OOPSLA"99 Dan Ingalls video ?)

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jan 6 14:58:28 UTC 2000

>This question is directed at folks who have done
>(active) presentations / demonstrations in Squeak.  Of
>course, doing slide presentation type stuff isn't what
>Squeak is good for.  Still, having primitive support
>for certain kinds of things (bulleted / outline lists,
>multiple screenfuls of information, etc.) would be
>quite helpful as a first step towards producing more
>active presentations.

The way to do presentations in Squeak is via BookMorphs.  BookMorphs
allow you to embed just about any morph on any page (including active
ones), and they can be manipulated like PowerPoint slides (e.g.,
there is even a slide sorter!).

For the first time, I'm doing all of my lecture slides this term as
both PowerPoint and BookMorphs.  I'll make a better announcement
about this when there are more up there, but the first set (for
chapter 1 of my Squeak textbook) are now up at
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8080/cs2340/7  There's a page there on how
to open and read the zipped bookmorphs. In the first chapter, I only
have one active page, but I hope to add more as I build more lecture
sets.

I'm attaching below the message describing how to convert PowerPoint
slides to BookMorphs. You don't have to load in the change set --
these features got built-in to the latest Squeaks (thanks, Dan and
Ted!!). I'm learning a few more things about PowerPoint -> BookMorph
as I do these.
- PowerPoint uses a couple of different strategies for generating
GIFs for slides.  Sometimes, it saves the text as transparent,
letting the background set the text color.  For other slides
(especially with embedded pictures and other objects), it saves the
background transparent and the text opaque and colored.  The result
is that I have to set a global background color, and then fix
individual slides by hand.
- BookMorphs opened up in MVC (as Morphic-in-a-window) don't always
open to full size -- they work fine, you just have to drag the window
larger to see the whole thing.
- BookMorph URLs can end in "1", e.g., testbook1.sp, but they never
should end in more than one digit.  testbook27.sp caused errors for
me.

I'll put this page on the Squeak Swiki for future reference.
   Mark