The Crusoe and the future of Dynabook?

Daniel Allan Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 22 00:49:11 UTC 2000

"Jecel Assumpcao Jr." wrote:

> Daniel Allan Joyce wrote:
> > [...]
> >       They plan on releasing development kits for other people to add extra
> > ISA front ends to their code morphing software.
>
> >From all the comments I have seen and the transcript of the Q&A session in the
> presentation, I got the idea that they would not be releasing the information
> need to do this. I have written to them directly about this and am waiting to
> know for sure (if even they know for sure, of course ;-)

	I watched it with my own eyes. They said yes they would when asked if
any parts of the code morpher would be made Open Source.

> >       I bet SmallTalk, and thus Squeak, would scream on this beast. We would
> > no longer need to write C primitves either... <:)
>
> You would need to replace the current interpreter with a "code morpher" for
> this to be the case. Of course, no one is keeping you from doing a Jitter 4 or
> a Self-style adaptive compilation system/HotSpot right now and it would make
> Squeak scream on the current hardware (just one, most likely...).

	The code morpher consists of modular front and back ends. And from what
they said at the presentation, they would soon open up the front end to
allow others to develop new ISAs.

	They do plan on allowing others to develop other ISA front ends, just
that right now, they themselves only directly support x86.

	Hotspot sucks IMNHO. It gets it's 2x performance improvement by using
twice as much ram. We use it at work for our Java client. Everyone knows
that throwing ram at it makes it faster.

	The code morpher is a bit more efficent with memory.

	If anything, think of crusoe as a HW accelerated JIT.

	Daniel Joyce