Squeak-related employment ...

Chris Macie cjmacie at well.com
Wed Jan 26 07:12:30 UTC 2000

In the ACM's 2nd take at the History-of-Languages, I think there was an
article by Adele Goldberg (I never saw it in print, but saw a draft
beforehand at PPS), in which she said this ..., and that ..., and
concluded, if my memory serves me, with the idea that using Smalltalk can
be FUN.

That was "right-on", but perhaps a tactical error.

Experience was led me to the conviction that your average managerial-type
-- certainly corporate, possibly even in research -- can not stomach the
idea that engineers or programmers could be having FUN while working for
them.

I joke not. Smalltalk is one of the worst languages / environments in this
respect, precisely because it can be so empowering. (This is more serious
even than having fun, so to avoid the above mentioned tactical error, I
won't go into it any further here.)

Chris Macie