Of source code lost in eternity: A suggestion (or a few)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Jan 10 05:09:10 UTC 2000

Stan Heckman <stan at stanheckman.com> wrote:
> Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se> writes:
>
> > ...and you shouldn't have to hack raw html--heck, you shouldn't ever
> > have to do that.  WYSIWYG originated with Smalltalk after all :-)
> > (No Swiki criticism in that.)
>
> Even if no criticism, you have interesting things to say to the
> swiki. Ward's original WikiWiki did not allow hacking raw html. I
> think Mark would have preferred not to; I think he added this only
> because his students wanted it.

I think, rather, it's a question of how much initial commitment people
have to make to use the Swiki.  Mark was certainly targetting CS
students, who mostly already knew HTML.  Probably the broader audience
of Squeak enthusiasts on this list also know HTML, so that doesn't
really change.  If you have a bunch of people who know HTML, how much
sense does it make to make them hack some other formatting system that
they only use on that system?

Of course, the ideal wiki would be based on Morphic, not on WWW browsers
at all....

Lex