[BUG] or [GOTCHA] with multiple browsers doing interleavedmethod editing and class creation

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Fri Jan 14 19:29:38 UTC 2000

Folks,

The problem Mark describes is certainly a bug/gotcha, but hardly a
new one.  It has been present in all Smalltalk/Squeak browsers in our
evolutionary line since the beginning of time (i.e. 1976) -- because
so much of browsers' list-related logic is index-based rather than
object-based.

The "smart updating" facilities added recently to Squeak reduce the
incidence of such inter-browser conflicts by 99 percent, but do not
(yet) catch the one that Mark mentions.

I can see that the "smart updating" has produced a new climate of
positive expectation in which the remaining
multiple-browser-coordination hazards, though they have been with us
forever, seem new and unbearable!

That's progress, y'see.

   -- Scott