[UPDATES] 7 items for 2.8alpha

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 19 17:16:34 UTC 2000

Hi,
  Every mac file has a TYPE and a CREATOR which is distinct from either
the file name or the file contents.

If *I* download  a squeak .image file my ftp program sets the type
and creator to be a mac disk image (think copy of a disk in a file, handy
for installing software) which is wrong for a Squeak image.  To make
a ftped squeak image work for me I need to change the type to STim and
the creator to FAST.  Once this is done I can either drop the image on my
VM or  double click the image and have Squeak start.

This change doesn't affect the contents of the file and is automagically
done by the Stuffit archiving program when I upload stuffit archives.

I guess the short answer is it's just one of those mac things :-).  I was
trying to find out how comfortable the people who were alpha testing
software would be with these sorts of manipulations though I wouldn't
expect the normal mac user to do this.

cheers

bruce