xml.smalltalk.org and mod.smalltalk.org

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Fri Jan 28 20:50:25 UTC 2000

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter William Lount <peter at smalltalk.org> writes:

Peter> I think it's important that we have a "XML" ASCII standard for
Peter> storing BOTH "Smalltalk source code" and "Smalltalk object
Peter> instances".  Interoperatability is becoming very important and
Peter> being able to share object instances with other languages and
Peter> systems would revolutionize the Smalltalk usage in the real
Peter> world.

If you want an XML marshalling for objects, it'd be great to be
compatible with either the WDDX standard, or the SOAP standard, as
much as possible.  Unfortunately, both seem to have big backers (SOAP
from M$, and WDDX from Allaire), and are incompatible.  SOAP seems to
have derived from the XML-RPC camp, which also has more visibility.

SOAP is at http://www.develop.com/soap/
WDDX is at http://www.wddx.org/

Peter> In addition I think it's important that there be an Apache Web
Peter> Server module for Smalltalk. A ModSmalltalk. Any computer
Peter> language that tightly intergrates and interoperates with the
Peter> Apache Web server in an Open Source manner can gain prominance
Peter> in the Web Site and Web Applications Market.  Smalltalk has an
Peter> excellent potential to be the engine behind many powerful, yet
Peter> to be built, web sites.

Oooh oooh!