Type Safety (was Re: fun and empowerment)

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Fri Jan 28 12:20:23 UTC 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:11:55PM -0500, Mark Guzdial wrote:
> But this is actually more than me being "pedagogues who look on their
> profession as an opportunity for pederastic abuse" :-)  I'm seriously
> interested: Does anyone know of any empirical evidence for the value
> of types?  Or is it a myth that we invented to rationalize the typing
> needed to improve the compiler's performance?

Lutz Prechelt, Walter F. Tichy.
A Controlled Experiment to Assess the Benefits of
Procedure Argument Type Checking.

IEEE Trans. on Software Engineering, 24(4):302-312, April 1998.

http://wwwipd.ira.uka.de/~prechelt/Biblio/tcheck_tse98.ps.gz

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de phone at home:(0721)614235 @work:(0721)608-2749