PopUp Menus

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Tue Jan 18 19:37:36 UTC 2000

Torge Husfeldt wrote:

> In your logic it seems like I have to fourth it.
> The point that was most annoying to me was that you get a
> new World (musitple) menu when you click beside the one you
> opened first so you will never get rid of it until you (contra-intuitively)
> click on
> some window :-(.
> Even a right click would not help (brings up personal menu).

This is not the behavior I'm seeing in a clean copy of Squeak 2.7,
update #1782, Win32 VM 2.7 release build 2. Any context menu (including
World and "personal"), whether clicked up by a left-click or a
right-click, can be cleanly dismissed by either a left-click or a
right-click anywhere outside of the menu's boundary (the second click
does *not* bring up another menu), whether on a window or on the
background.

> Sometimes I just click on the background to un-activate the active window
> and then I am interrupted by he task of getting rid of the world menu.

Well, clicking on the background won't de-activate a window (and hasn't
since at least Squeak 2.5 - the oldest active copy I have on this
computer - but I don't think it has ever de-activated a window in
Squeak). Only clicking on another window or creating a new window will
do this in normal operation.

-- DWight