Crusoe and Squeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Jan 27 22:00:15 UTC 2000

Daniel Allan Joyce wrote:
> 	Anyways, the Crusoe does not keep the entire program in cache, only the
> currently translated executed bit. It also goes to a lot of trouble to
> flow analyze the program, thus ensuring the cache isn't flushed, else it
> needs to redo the translation.

Here is what I know:

   - the code morpher is booted from a 1MB serial ROM
   - the 3120 has 64KB of internal cache memory
   - you have to reserve from 8 to 16MB of main memory for the code morpher

Here is what I am guessing:

   - that 1MB might be compressed, but I doubt it will take up 8-16MB when
      copied to RAM
   - when they talk about translated code being stored in a "cache", they
      probably mean a software cache in RAM rather than hardware

> 	Why not move the translated program back to ram so over time the whole
> thing is translated?

If I guessed right, then they are doing just that (except that when translated
code exceeds 16MB they start throwing things away so you might never get the
whole thing translated at any one time).

> 	Well the 3120 and 5400 are targeted at the embedded and cheap portable
> market. Even with the perf hit of retranslation on cache flushes, it
> still does well.
>
> 	The webpad, running a 3120 at 333 or 400Mhz ( roughly a 250-333Mhz
> celeron I figure ) is basically a full size laptop LCD screen with
> support for Linux, X, and web tools built in. With a PCMIA III slot,
> this is not some dinky PDA system.

I have had the chance to play with National's webpad twice in the past two
years and it is pretty nice too:

    http://www.national.com/appinfo/solutions/0,2062,216,00.html

They have some 20 or so companies making variations of these in Taiwan, and are
coming out with improved designs over the next few months.

> 	Price point for a WebPad is expected to be $500-$1000 dollars.  More
> than reasonable I think for a "super PDA". The screen is touch
> sensitive, and has a translucent virtual keyboard that pops up, and
> handwriting input a-la grafiti.

Sounds nice. Does it need a base? Disks?

> 	It's coming, it will have tools to allow the building of custom ISAs,
> and it will be on the market. It's not sitting in some lab somewhere,
> it's here now.

I asked them about the custom ISA thing over a week ago, but am still waiting
for a reply. They are certainly very busy right now, so I can understand this.

> 	I think with SmallTalk's simple instruction format in terms of the
> virtual ISA, the amount of translation overhead for it to run on the
> Crusoe may be lower than emuing x86. So it may REALLY scream.

Some of these simple instructions are "send message to object", which the x86
lacks (but its forgotten relative, the iAPX432, had :-)

> 	We've got the toy, why not see if someone at transmeta, or Diamond,
> etc, bites?  <:)
>
> 	Maybe someone should register as a "developer" and see if they can get
> the meatier developer's kit. Someone from Disney?  <:)

I did (also a week ago) and all I have gotten so far is a confirmation that I
am in their developers news list (which has had no messages so far).
There was no confirmation that I am registered as a developed and being
considered to receive the material you listed below.

> 	http://www.transmeta.com/dev/
>
> 	Crusoe Hardware Schematics
>         Designers Specification
>         Crusoe Processor Data Sheets
>         BIOS Writer's Guide
>

> 	I'd kill to have smalltalk to run on one of these things! I plan on
> buying one.

Good luck on your purchase.
-- Jecel