[comp.lang.smalltalk] The BYTE Balloon Image IS Free!! ->poster?

Dwight Hughes dwighth at ipa.net
Tue Jan 25 05:52:45 UTC 2000

Chris Macie wrote:
[snip]

> Thanks to Eliot (and ObjectShare), the permission is no longer necessary,
> although I think it would be appropriate to always give credit to Robert
> Tinney. Given present day sophistication of photo/digital services, a
> blow-up of the hi-res image should be readily possible and inexpensive.
> Many on this discussion board no doubt still have copies of the print, in
> case an even higher resolution copy would make a better enlargement.
>
> I also have a copy or two of the original BYTE issue... If not already
> done, someone should digitize the ST articles and post them www-wise. I
> find of lot of them by no means out-of-date, especially in early phases of
> learning Smalltalk --  for instance Adele Goldberg's introduction, the
> "Design Principles" one, and the one on control structures by Peter Deutsch.

I have Dan's "Design Principles Behind Smalltalk" up on my site -
http://users.ipa.net/~dwighth/ . I would like to get several more
articles up. I have "Object-Oriented Software Systems", "The
Smalltalk-80 System", "The Smalltalk-80 Virtual Machine", "The Smalltalk
Environment", "The Smalltalk Graphics Kernel", "User-Oriented
Descriptions of Smalltalk Systems", and "Virtual Memory for an
Object-Oriented Language" all scanned in, OCRed, and converted to nice
fairly HTML (a bit of treaking and proofreading should finish) -- I
"only" need to scan and process (or recreate) the figures for these
articles and link them in. For most of these I have the author's
permission already, but getting full permission has proven
"interesting".

-- Dwight