fun and empowerment

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Wed Jan 26 22:54:49 UTC 2000

From:  Dean Swan at MITEL on 01/26/2000 05:54 PM

> Experience has led me to the conviction that your average
> managerial-type -- certainly corporate, possibly even in
> research -- can not stomach the idea that engineers or
> programmers could be having FUN while working for them.

     Very true.  I design embedded DSP firmware for telecomm gear, and my boss
used to get quite distrubed whenever I would refer to "playing around with
something", especially if the "something" is a task on our current project
schedule.  I've long held that my job as an engineer is to "play with neat toys,
and get paid to do so".  Experience dictates that being concerned about projects
that I work on ever shipping or becoming profitable often leads to
disappointment, so I've adopted this "it's the journey, not the destination that
matters" point of view.

                                   -Dean Swan