Headless

Ian Piumarta Ian.Piumarta at inria.fr
Sat Jan 15 21:00:47 UTC 2000

> $ ../src/configure --with-gnu-cc --with-gnu-ld --without-x

There appears to be at least two problems with autoconf (why did I ever
start using this thing? ;-).  First is that disabling X (and consequently
the call to AC_PATH_X) breaks the subsequent header file checks (for
things like unistd.h).  Second, autoconf cheerfully stomps over DEFS
with "DEFS=-DHAVE_CONFIG_H" instead of "DEFS+=..." at the end of
configuration, thereby obliterating "-DHEADLESS".

Quick fix:

In Makefile.in change

	DEFS=@DEFS@ -DUNIX

	DEFS=@DEFS@ @XDEFS@ -DUNIX

then in configure.in change

	    AC_MSG_ERROR([X Window System not found: CANNOT BUILD SQUEAK!])
	  fi
	else
	  DEFS="$DEFS -DHEADLESS"
	fi

	AC_SUBST(INCS)

	    AC_MSG_ERROR([X Window System not found: CANNOT BUILD SQUEAK!])
	  fi
	  XDEFS=""
	else
	  XDEFS="-DHEADLESS"
	fi

	AC_SUBST(INCS)
	AC_SUBST(XDEFS)

and then from the top-level dir:

	make clean
	make config
	cd <your-target-dir>
	../src/configure --without-x
	cd ..
	make

which will get the correct cached settings for header files (from the
first run of configure) and then disable X in the build.  I know it's
ugly, but it seems to work.  I'll fix it for real sometime soon.

Ian

PS: you'll need autoconf installed since the above will rebuild configure
after the change to configure.in.