Squeak and CM

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Mon Jan 17 17:59:25 UTC 2000

At 07:09 PM 1/16/00 +0100, Torge Husfeldt wrote:
>Nice Idea. How do you plan to resolve the ambiguity occuring if
>a message selector already includes $X ? Assuming that you duplicate
>original occurences of $X I looked at:
>Smalltalk browseMethodsWhoseNamesContain:'X'
>(with a little tweak that it respects the findCaseSensitive Preference).
>The first result was
>Look at B3DList>>searchForNewTopAtX:y:
>with my assupmtion that would be mapped to:
>searchForNewTopAtXXXyX

Close but it would be B3DList>>searchForNewTopAtXXyX.

>but tis would also be the mapping for
>B3DList>>searchForNewTopAt:Xy:

Yes, you're correct.  Both searchForNewTopAtX:y: & searchForNewTopAt:Xy: to
B3DList>>searchForNewTopAtXXyX.  The method naming convention is to begin
keywords (?) with a lower case letter so that searchForNewTopAt:Xy:  would
normally be searchForNewTopAt:xy: which would map to searchForNewTopAtXxyX.

I'm glad you pointed this out.  I'll have to add a check to my code to
insure that methods meet my assumption that they use the method naming
convention.

The conflict in my suggestion you pointed out would still be a problem for
CVS mapping method names to file name because we can not assume all file
systems differentiate between upper and lower case letters.

How about handling ":" the same way as binary operators?

        searchForNewTopAtX:y: -> searchForNewTopAtXcolonycolon
        searchForNewTopAt:Xy: -> searchForNewTopAtcolonXycolon

I think Dolphin is already using the underline in method names, so we still
have a possible conflict using it.

>(which does not exist yet nor is recommended as a selector).
>The point is that the original selector name isn't unambiguously
>reconstructable from
>the filename. So will probably want to do something else with the $Xs.
>Why not do some standard encoding that is already broadly accepted like
>URL encoding of special Chracters. Since CVS works on top of HTTP
>I can't imagine that it doesn't support standard-encoded URLs
[snip]

I'm not familiar with it, but sounds reasonable to me.

The Dolphin news group has had a number of posting from folks wanting a
change management application.  Object Arts has one they use for internal
use but do not plan on releasing it as a product.  We might get Dolphin
users interested in this project.  I think a fair number of them also use
Squeak.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy