[THINKO]2.7 download directory README

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Wed Jan 12 15:12:18 UTC 2000

Hey,

The README file in the 2.7 downloadd directory goes

---------
Squeak 2.7 is the most current version of Squeak.

Please download all of these files in BINARY mode and make sure that
your unarchiving program does not do any text conversion.

If you have a Mac download Squeak2.7-mac.sea.bin.

If you have a Windows system download Squeak2.7-win.zip.

Other systems as they appear.

The contents of this directory.

Squeak2.6-mac.sea.bin                   - The Mac release
Squeak2.6.sea.bin                       - The Mac release from Squeak
											Central.
Squeak2.6-win.zip                       - Windows PC release, VM build 2.
Squeak2.6-winCE-MIPS.zip                - Windows CE MIPS release.
Squeak2.6-winCE-SH3.zip                 - Windows CE SH3 release.
files                                   - A directory with the individual
											files
---------

The actual directory, of course, contains the 2.7 versions ;)

Plus, what's the difference betwee the .sea.bin and the -mac.sea.bin? Is
one to be preferred? I notice that the instructions direct one to the
-mac.sea.bin, but it doesn't say why.

Perhaps there should be a "current version" directory which contains or
contains links to the download packages of the latest versions. This would
make it easier to keep the squeak.org pages (and similar download links) up
to date: I.e., "The latest released version is at <a
href="...../current">..."

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.