TeX in Squeak

Les Tyrrell tyrrell at canis.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 25 16:47:31 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 garau at ar.ibm.com wrote:
>
> > I've heard that some time ago someone reimplemented TeX in Squeak. Is that
> > right??
> > Where can I get that code?? Are there any future plans to continue that??
>
> I remember there was something like an interaktive editor in VisualWorks
> (or maybe even ObjectWorks or earlier) were you would write TeX source in
> one pane and TeX was run in the background to typeset the current
> paragraph and show the result in another pane while you're still typing. I
> somehow associate this with Hans-Martin Mosner, but I could be completely
> wrong.
>
>   -Bert-

I believe that you are thinking of Hans-Martin Mosner's WysiTeX.
See his homepage at:

http://www.heeg.de/~hmm/

Also, when I was looking for a graceful means of laying out components
in a user interface I took a crack at implementing TeX's layout algorithms.
This is available, though only briefly described, at:

http://www.canis.uiuc.edu/~tyrrell/Squeak/TexLayout/

-les