Squeak and CM

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Mon Jan 17 17:59:27 UTC 2000

At 06:35 PM 1/16/00 +0100, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>At 11:01 16.01.00 -0600, R. A. Harmon wrote:
>
>>For programatically generating test suite methods, I replaced ":" with "X"
>
>Also an idea.  Probably a matter of style.  What's better read?
>
>at:put:  -->  atXputX
>at:put:  -->  at_put_
>
>Striktly speaking, both "X" and "_" and are valid selector characters but
>the big-X probably doesn't occur in typical programs and that's enough. We
>could simply double them if they happen to occur.

I actually prefer underline as easier to read, but Squeak as yet doesn't
support it in method names which is what I used the scheme for.

The ANSI standard allows using the underline in method names, so we still
have a possible conflict using it.

>>For operators I used the following a mapping: [...]
>
>That idea generates a nice and readable output, but as you can come up with
>any  kind of selectors (in ANSI not even restricted to 2 characters), I'd
>prefer an automatic mapping which has a word per char, for example
>
>=   ->  Xequal
>==  ->  XequalEqual
><,> ->  XlessCommaGreater

I like this better also.

>The best if probably to combine both approaches and make a few common
>sequences more readable.  But that's a minor detail.

Yes.

>>[snip]
>>>All files are in normal chunk-format.
>>[snip]
>>
>>Using the Smalltalk Interchange Format (SIF) would make it more portable and
>>easier to use across dialects.
>
>Good point.  I tend to like the old chunk format better but I cannot really
>agrue about it as it's only a feeling.  It's also easier to use for a first
>prototype as Squeak already features it.

Understandable.  I can easily add SIF output to whatever we come up with.

>It's also very simple to transfer code from VW to SQ or vom DS to SQ and
>the other way round.  At least I modified the readers without much trouble.
[snip]

I have a standard rant about Smalltalk Interchange Format as opposed to
dialect to dialect utilities that I'll spare the list.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy