Bizarre Browser Behavior

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue Jan 11 17:12:02 UTC 2000

> => 1/11/00 10:39:40 AM, lex at cc.gatech.edu =>
> << So how about having the image startup code automatically decompress its
> changes file, if needed?  Then people could distributeSqueak2.6.changes.gz
> instead of Squeak2.6.changes, and we could get past this annoying attempt at
> do-what-you-think-i-mean. >> ... and following ....
>
> How about .jar files? Or are things from Java world improperly brewed?

How many people have a jar program around, as compared to a ZIP program?

Anyway, it wouldn't really change anything, I don't think.  The most
difficult problem, I'm guessing, would be packaging up n separate
*executables* along with the image and changes files.  jar might be
the right way to make the packages for certain platforms, but you still
have the "complexity" of dealing with each platform individually.

Although, the more I think about it, the less hard it seems.  Maybe
someone should just *try* it for once, and report about how it goes.
Just how hard *is* it to set up a distribution for a Squeak
program for separate OS's?  And what specifically is problematic?

Lex