Problems with Squeak 2.7 on Windows 95

Raab, Andreas Andreas.Raab at disney.com
Fri Jan 28 06:44:36 UTC 2000

Alexander,

When you're saying 'Squeak hangs' have you tried to hit Alt-. (Alt-period) a
couple of times to see if that changes anything?! The two examples that
you've given (DECTalkReader and 3D) rely on the appropriate plugin support
(Klatt.dll and Squeak3D.dll) to be efficient. If the plugin cannot be found
they'll run Smalltalk code instead which does work perfectly but is slow as
hell. This is why there is a warning if you try to enter PWM7 without plugin
support (no kidding about running real-time 3D directly from Smalltalk ;-).

It's possible that your entire problem is due to a very simple problem. Try
evaluating the following expression:

	B3DPrimitiveEngine isAvailable.

If this expression returns false then the 3D plugin (and probably the others
as well) cannot be found. This is usually due to having an old Squeak VM
associated with the '.image' extension (you can check this when Squeak is
running by pressing F2 and choosing 'display version information' from the
menu). If it says anything different from 'Squeak 2.7 VM' then quit out of
Squeak and do the following:

* Shift Right-Click on the Squeak image file
* Choose 'Open with...' from the context menu
* In the dialog box choose 'Other...'
* In the File open box go to the directory where the 2.7 VM and the plugins
are located
* Select Squeak.exe and click 'Open'
* Select 'Always use this program to open this type of file'
* Click Ok

And of course, you can always just drag and drop your image file onto the
latest VM rather than double clicking on it.

Hope this helps,
  Andreas

PS. If you have any more problems feel free to send more information
directly to me (I'm posting this to the list only because there might be
people having similar problems in the future and so this reply will be
archived ;-).