Squeak and CM

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun Jan 16 17:35:37 UTC 2000

At 11:01 16.01.00 -0600, R. A. Harmon wrote:

>For programatically generating test suite methods, I replaced ":" with "X"

Also an idea.  Probably a matter of style.  What's better read?

at:put:  -->  atXputX
at:put:  -->  at_put_

Striktly speaking, both "X" and "_" and are valid selector characters but
the big-X probably doesn't occur in typical programs and that's enough. We
could simply double them if they happen to occur.

>For operators I used the following a mapping: [...]

That idea generates a nice and readable output, but as you can come up with
any  kind of selectors (in ANSI not even restricted to 2 characters), I'd
prefer an automatic mapping which has a word per char, for example

=   ->  Xequal
==  ->  XequalEqual
<,> ->  XlessCommaGreater

The best if probably to combine both approaches and make a few common
sequences more readable.  But that's a minor detail.

>[snip]
>>All files are in normal chunk-format.
>[snip]
>
>Using the Smalltalk Interchange Format (SIF) would make it more portable and
>easier to use across dialects.

Good point.  I tend to like the old chunk format better but I cannot really
agrue about it as it's only a feeling.  It's also easier to use for a first
prototype as Squeak already features it.

It's also very simple to transfer code from VW to SQ or vom DS to SQ and
the other way round.  At least I modified the readers without much trouble.

>I think this project would be very useful, and would like to help in
>the effort.

That's great.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf.