[Q] FileIn/FileOut Syntax - and other stuff

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Sat Jan 15 13:50:45 UTC 2000

Hello,

Question:
  What is the precise syntax for fileIn/fileOut? Especially the !-stuff
  puzzles me. Is this described somewhere?

My current concern with this is for producing things that can be filedIn,
and also receiving fileOuts for processing outside of squeak.

In time when I get better acquainted with squeak/Smalltalk I will make
squeak-versions of this.

Other (related) stuff:

In case you are interested I'm working with programming language syntaxes.
I have separated syntactic processing from semantic (that is execution)
and the same execution mekanisms can be reached by different syntaxes. For
example C/C++/Java; Pascal/Modula/etc; Scheme; Squeak (and soon, just
for fun, Algol, Simula; Fortran maybe even Cobol) Beta etc. You get the
idea. This is user-extensible of course. Besides being able to read those
it can alse write it making superficial translations at the syntactic
level.

This is also coordinated with a graphic (in this case syntax-)tree editor.
Some of this could fit in with youre vision of graphical programming I
believe.

I tempt you with this: if a thing similar to this are made part of the
squeak system, it is possible to change syntax at a snap. The code can
appear in any of the syntaxes that are defined.

It should also be possible
to bridge the gap between Smalltalk and the Players scripting system you
are developing.

I also have som ideas of my own when it comes to user scripting, I'll keep
you posted when I have described it. The main idea is about the history of
changes.

There are several complications of course, however I have found that they
can often be solved or else avoided by conventions.

At the present time I have no good description of this, however if someone
is interested let me know. My aim is to work with this for a while.

Keep up the good work!

/Mats Nygren, SICS