[BUG] or [GOTCHA] with multiple browsers...

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Fri Jan 14 23:19:16 UTC 2000

At 13:04 14.01.2000 -0500, Chris Norton wrote:
>PS>  I have also had problems in the 2.7 image (in Morphic) with scrolling
>and moving my mouse.  Sometimes the scrolling gets all screwed up when I
>move my mouse from the scrolled pane to another Browser pane (immediately
>after I actually scroll the pane's contents).  In fact, sometimes this
>causes selections in other panes to be made, even when I did not click my
>mouse button.  This gets confusing, [...]

Yes, I've noticed that too. I tried this to reproduce the effect: Make sure
there is no "BufferMouse" line in your Squeak.INI, start vanilla 2.7 image,
browse to a method long enough to require scrolling (say,
Time>>print24:on:), scroll down a bit, click around and select-drag until
anomaly starts. May take a few clicks.

Gladly, I had Andreas' win32 VM sources around. Quoting from the README:

> * Added buffered mouse input in sqWin32Window.c (w/ new preference)

Judging from how it's used in there, I can only guess. Correct me if I'm
wrong (especially since "self win32APIKnowledge isNil"), that this new
preference is initialized to 0 (line 97 of sqWin32Window.c) but line 252
(when reading the .INI file) says

  fBufferMouse    =
GetPrivateProfileInt(U_GLOBAL,TEXT("BufferMouse"),1,iniName);

Does that mean the default value is really 1? If so, and if "BufferMouse="
is not present in the INI (unless s.b. set it), then task bar menu "VM
Preferences" and actual state of preference seem to disagree, no?

Again make sure there is no "BufferMouse" line in Squeak.INI, start vanilla
2.7 image. Navigate to task bar menu and its "VM Preferences", BufferMouse
seems off. Select it, reopen menu. *Now* it's off, this time for real.
Reselect it, reopen menu, for sure, it's on now.

Andreas, your opinion?

Have a nice weekend everyone,
Helge

P.S. Chris, to answer your question, turning BufferMouse off (for real)
helped squelch the effect here. Or put BufferMouse=0 in your Squeak.INI.