Common Lisp style macros in Smalltalk?

Martin B. Pomije pomije at inav.net
Tue Jan 11 05:03:54 UTC 2000

I'm pretty new to Squeak and Smalltalk in general, so if there is some
equivalent functionality in Smalltalk the obviates this sort of thing,
please let me know.

One of things about Common Lisp that I really like is it's macro
system.  Granted, some of the worst aspects of CL are some of the macros
that are in the language standard ("loop" may be most extreme
offender).  I have a lot of respect for the community that built CL, but
they had a tendency to make certain things just to friggin'
complicated.  If you have CL type macros, restraint must be shown.  They
were also committed to trying to do things the right way and providing a
rich tool kit.

Has anybody on this list ever contemplated incorporating CL style macros
into Smalltalk?  Or am I just stuck in Lispish thinking?