A New Look and Feel for Squeak

Eric Arseneau eat at huv.com
Mon Jul 3 04:49:29 UTC 2000

> >   I don't give too much on Tim's
> > rant.  Parcplace might have failed but Sun successed with Swing.
> PPS didn't fail, technically. The system worked ok and could have ben
> finished as a product relatively quickly. Usual management screwups
> stopped it. Several of the people who worked on it ended u pworking on
> swing. Last I heard, most of them still hate java several years later.

I would agree with Tim.

And add even more.  To show how well it worked, do any of you know how many
of the people working on Swing were actual x-smalltalk people.  I got so
many calls from 3 or 4 of my friend implementing the stuff asking me
questions about how the different things managed to work in VW.  To me, I
see Swing as a re-implementation of what the old VW had.  If any of them
would have known about the other work (Vangaugh I think it was called) going
on they could have succeeded even more.

Even with the work they did plagerize, they still managed to get it wrong.
Java still has the "write once, debug everywhere" mantra associated with it.
VW NEVER had this problem (other than the foolish of us who messed with
InputState and InputSensor, but then shame on us) !!!