[VM][UNIX] Gnuified interpreter speedup

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jul 14 16:29:50 UTC 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Stephan Rudlof wrote:

> > On my linux machine, even when Squeak is idle, it takes up more than 50%
> > cpu time. Anybody else experiencing this?
>
> Do you use the last version from SF (I think so)? There was an
> improvement, which has changed the CPU load from 100% to about 10% for
> me:

Yep, that's what I'm using. I somehow suspect it must be related to
this being a double-processor system. The same compiled VM on a similar
one-processor machine (also RedHat 6.2) shows zero CPU usage.

What could the second processor do bad? Or maybe that's a Linux problem
with the system libraries in a SMP setting?

-- Bert