A New Look and Feel for Squeak

Karl Goiser squeak at wattle.net
Sat Jul 1 05:33:17 UTC 2000

G'Day,

I'm sorry, I don't get it.

These looks are all very pretty and quite pleasing and I'm not
disparaging the people doing it.  But any look and feel that Squeak
has other than a <insert your operating system here> look and feel
would be unacceptable to people using that operating system.

This goes doubly for 'business' applications.

Why bother creating yet another look and feel when we all use and are
experienced with what comes with our native operating systems?

I really really think the following are the only valid directions for Squeak:

1) Allow the use of native windows and widgets through an interface
that means you can write code that will work across most of the
deployed platforms with the look and feel of those platforms.

2) Develop a completely new and different user interface/experience
that will be wicked and weird and beautiful and, generally, make
people's jaws drop.

Perhaps both could be done, but it seems to me to be a waste of time
to write code to make Squeak look like another operating system.

Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Karl