[ENH][Unix][VM][2.8][2.9alpha?] stream-based translation

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sat Jul 22 17:34:37 UTC 2000

Rob,

it's nice that you also work for an easy to use module generation!

I like the idea of switching to - more general - streams instead of
files.

Without looking deeper on it, I have a few questions:

You have used the - quiet old (it's relative, I know) - SF changes file
translation.cs.
Have you taken a look onto my newer one posted with subject
	[ENH][VM][2.8][2.9alpha?] VMModuleTranslation
?
If so: Does your extended translation.cs work together with this newer
stuff from me?

There I have changed some generation logic, too. The platform specific
Unix files should be removed from this changeset, though. But the logic
could possibly stay.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to look and check myself at this
time, and possibly you have also done this.

BTW: We should try to avoid doubled work (I hope there isn't too much
here!), probably we have to improve our communication ;-)

Greetings,

Stephan

Rob Withers wrote:

> Hello VM-Hackers,
>
> Here is my little modification of Stephan's original Translation stuff.
> The fundamental change is that I wrote translation messages for the
> Interpreter and Plugins so that they could be passed a stream and they
> would output onto it.  This way we can control where something gets
> written.  To this end I created a UnixVMBuilder which has some base
> configurations of files.
>
> The good news is that it generates correctly into the current directory
> structure of the CVS checkout.  All you have to do is give it the root
> or the cvs tree ("Unix_2.8") in this case.
>
> It shouldn't be difficult to load OSProcess and code in machine
> translation to the Builder.  We can link into the cvsproj work to pass
> files to SF.
>
> Enjoy!
> Rob

> 'From Squeak2.8 of 13 June 2000 [latest update: #2348] on 22 July 2000 at 9:02:18 am'!
> "Change Set:            translation
> Date:                   10 July 2000
> Author:                 Stephan Rudlof
>
> Methods for generating a small VM2.8 squeak binary with one internal and many external plugins (modules).
>
> Should be refactored together with introducing methods just returning Collections of internal/external plugin classes."!

<snipped>

--
Stephan Rudlof (sr at evolgo.de)