Apple fonts

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sat Jul 1 23:56:36 UTC 2000

I've been watching the font issue with interest. I happen to know where one
can get a set of windows fonts that are bit identical to  Apple bitmapped
fonts. Of course having created them 10 odd years ago helps. However they
are the property of a previous business venture. These fonts are used by
Informix, PowerBuilder (Sybase), and Blyth Software/Omnis, so they do have
wide distribution. These fonts were created by hand from images of Apple
fonts, and if I recall Apple's legal dept told us at the time that was legal
as long as the font names were different and no Apple copyrighted algorithm
were used to create the typeface. (Since of course you aren't deriving these
images from truetype files that point is a non-issue).

I could look into getting a licence for Squeak so to speak if there is
interest. The issue of course will be getting the windows bit map font files
into something Squeak will enjoy. Anyone done work with reading raw Windows
bit font files?

I guess I'll see if I can get a copy of the license agreement to see what
the issues are, and if they are more acceptable than the current Squeak
licence regarding the apple fonts.
Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6