CVS structure

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at mail.merlintec.com
Fri Jul 7 14:51:26 UTC 2000

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Marcel Weiher wrote:
> Just to make things a little more complicated:  with MacOS-X, you
> run into a multiple-inheritance situation because it both is-a Unix
> and is-a Mac...

Indeed. In my own system I reorganized Squeak into generic, source,
linux, win, mac and sun directories. But that breaks down soon enough.
The Self 4.1.2 VM sources directories are better organized:

Platform_mac
Platform_sparc
any/
asm/
fast_compiler/
interpreter/
lookup/
memory/
objects/
os/
parser/
prims/
runtime/
sic/
zone/
includeDB
m68k/
lookup/
prims/
runtime/
mac/
os/
prims/
runtime/
mw/
runtime/
ppc/
asm/
fast_compiler/
lookup/
memory/
prims/
runtime/
sic/
zone/
sparc/
asm/
fast_compiler/
lookup/
memory/
prims/
runtime/
sic/
zone/
unix/
os/
prims/
runtime/

Where Platform_mac is:

// Sun-$Revision: 23.4 $

arch = ppc
os   = mac
os_version = system7
compiler = mw

and Platform_sparc is:

// Sun-$Revision: 23.4 $

arch = sparc
os   = unix
os_version = solaris
compiler = gcc

Though this is still not enough to describe and OS that is both Unix
and a Mac, it would make it easier to describe a platform that is Unix
running on a PowerPC (for example). Something like this might be even
more attractive once the new Jitter arrives.

-- Jecel