(Not just) Stupid thoughts (of mine) in [was: Re: [VM][UNIX] Gnuified interpreter speedup]

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 21 13:22:11 UTC 2000

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> Stephan,
>
> I agree with Tim on the issue of not having the platspec files in the image.
> However, I also agree with you that getting to the files should be as
> painless as somehow possible. Personally, I think the right way to get the
> support files is through direct CVS access from Squeak (either based on an
> internet connection or based on a tar ball on your harddisk). E.g., rather
> than having the support files in the image we should have the location of
> the source files in the image and retrieve these on demand (which also gives
> you the latest bunch of fixes). Note that the CVSTProject people
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=2565) are working towards that
> direction and they could probably use some help ;-)

I don't understand the issue.  If you are rebuilding an image, you must
have development tools available, right?  So what's so hard about doing
"cvs checkout" to get the platform specific sources, and "Interpreter
translate" to get the generic sources?  This is especially reasonable if
you modify baseDirectoryName to point to your CVS directory.

The only issue, it seems to me, is having "Interpreter translate" put
the files into a hierarchy that's reasonable for all platforms.

-Lex