Ship it with Squeak

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Sat Jul 1 18:07:38 UTC 2000

On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:

> At 09:01 01.07.00 -0400, Bijan Parsia wrote:
>
> >Well, for Squeak---and the typesetting world---they're different
> >fonts.
>
> Really?  Then I'm sorry and I have so say that I wanted to talk about font
> *families*.  Everything else seems very strange for me.  I would never
> expect that a larger font has completely different glyphs.

Eh...there are a lot of confusing overlapping terms that get screwed up in
a variety of ways. I was thinking of "font" as "collection of
glyphs" or as "StrikeFont". My main point being that the extant Squeak
layout manager can handle, to some degree, various fonts in a single
paragraph. This was sufficently shown, to my mind, by the various NewYork
"sizes", as those are distinct StrikeFonts. Yadda yadda.

> I'm glad you posted a gif to prove that you're right.

Well, me too. It did clear things up :)

>  I'm also very glad
> that you take it personal to defend Squeak (even it I didn't attack it or
> challenge you) ;-)

Oh well, 6:30 am, pre-stimulants, late night. :)

> Your argument, however, isn't fair.

Me? concerned with *fairness*! MuhwAHAHAHAHAHA!

>  As Squeak is turning-complete, it can
> do everything (perhaps with the exception of washing cars), if programmed
> correctly.  The system that comes right of the box however can't show
> multiple forms if you don't reprogram (which includes manipulating
> textstyle objects) it.

Hmm. Acutally, I don't think *this* is fair. I *thought* that the original
issue was whether there was a "rich text widget" type thing. The
workspace, as it stands, is one...albeit that without tweaking, it
displays a single fontfamily, alignment, etc., though it does do multiple
sizes, styles, etc.

But is the workspace a "widget"? It seems to me to be a *tool* supporting
a certain range of activities. Now you may argue that if it's going to
do multi-size, it might as well do multi-family. I probably agree, and I
think that the single family default is a legacy issue.

However, presumably it would be a defect of a rt widget if you *couldn't*,
if desired, turn *off* some flexibility. If you wanted to use somethign
Workspacey for end-user data entry, wouldn't you want to reprogram the
menus *anyway*?

> So let's settle that argumentation by agreeing that we're both correct.

Ok, so long as, to paraphrase Orwell, "some animals are more correct than
others" :)

> >P.P.P.P.S. But since we feature-whining...what I'm *dying* for is a Squeak
> >port of Lucene (a java VTwin full text search
> >clone): http://lucene.sourceforge.net/ Any java literate folks up to
[snip]
> Well, then go forward with a good example and port it... :-)

Well, I *am* java illiterate :) I was kinda hoping that a super-Java-dude
would come and save the day.

I will attempt ransacker (http://ransacker.sourceforge.net/) if I get some
time.

(Still drooling over the thought of Lucened swiki searches...or, heck, we
could get rid of the "searching method source will take several
minutes" :))

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.