[SF][VM][UNIX] SourceForge upload of VM 2.8a

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Mon Jul 10 14:33:36 UTC 2000

"Göran Hultgren" wrote:

> --- Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> > Dear Squeakers!
> >
> > I have uploaded my variant of Tim's variant of Ian's port of Unix2.8a to
> > SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/), but haven't been able to download
> > it.
>
> > BTW: For me SourceForge and CVS are new, but not revision control at
> > all.
>
> There are people on the Squeak list that has knowledge about this stuff from the GLORP project and
> the CVSTProject. Just ask! :-)

I haven't had a question at the time of the cited eMail ;-)

> [SNIP]
> > For checking out the sources:
> >
> > sr at Klaus:~/Squeak > cvs checkout Unix_2.8
> > rudlof at cvs.sourceforge.net's password:
> > cvs server: Updating Unix_2.8
> > U Unix_2.8/InterpFixes28-TPR.cs
> > U Unix_2.8/Makefile
> > Killed by signal 2.
> > cvs [checkout aborted]: received interrupt signal
> >
> > I have terminated it since I have only a dial up connection...
> > I'll try it later again.
>
> Try "cvs co -z9 Unix_2.8" (co is alias for checkout) if you are on a thin line - it adds gzip
> compression! Very good, especially if it is your first checkout because then the complete files
> are passed over the line.

This hasn't worked for me:

sr at Klaus:~/Squeak > cvs co -z9 Unix_2.8
co: invalid option -- z
Usage:
  cvs checkout [-ANPRcflnps] [-r rev | -D date] [-d dir]
    [-j rev1] [-j rev2] [-k kopt] modules...
        -A      Reset any sticky tags/date/kopts.
        -N      Don't shorten module paths if -d specified.
        -P      Prune empty directories.
        -R      Process directories recursively.
        -c      "cat" the module database.
        -f      Force a head revision match if tag/date not found.
        -l      Local directory only, not recursive
        -n      Do not run module program (if any).
        -p      Check out files to standard output (avoids stickiness).
        -s      Like -c, but include module status.
        -r rev  Check out revision or tag. (implies -P) (is sticky)
        -D date Check out revisions as of date. (implies -P) (is sticky)
        -d dir  Check out into dir instead of module name.
        -k kopt Use RCS kopt -k option on checkout.
        -j rev  Merge in changes made between current revision and rev.
(Specify the --help global option for a list of other help options)

But netherless I think that uncompressed files should be compressed
automatically by the protocol/modem software, so the speed difference
shouldn't be very high.

> Later, when you do "update" it typically just passes diffs so it will be much faster.
>
> > Browsing the sources by the web interface seems to work a little better.
> >
> > Possibly we have to install our own CVS server without such a neat web
> > interface, if this situation doesn't change.
>
> Well, SF has a bunch of other good stuff - but I have not used it that much yet so I have no info
> about how "slow" their servers are. But ask the others on the CVSTProject or GLORP - they have
> more experience.

Thanks for the hint.

Greetings,

Stephan