Mouse enter/leave events and their usefulness

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Sat Jul 22 20:43:53 UTC 2000

Karl Ramberg wrote:

>  I find UI's that make me
> > discover widgets using mouse-over feedback (rather than some unambiguous static
> > visual indication) quite annoying.
> >

> Thanks for the answer. I agree that this could be annoying. I'm currently working on
> mouse enter events that trigger a timer and then if there is a mouse leave before
> the timer knocks in it will not trigger. But for this to work it can't miss the event!
> That's when it become really annoying.

I don't get it... you're saying that you have an interface that requires the
mouse to hover for a while before something happens (which is why you're using
the timer).

So if you don't do anything until the mouse has been there a while, why
does it matter if you miss a mouse flying over quickly?

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com