Squeak as Metaverse reminds me of something concrete...

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Wed Jul 19 20:50:10 UTC 2000

"Raab, Andreas" <Andreas.Raab at disney.com> wrote:
> If you can for instance increase object
> locality (that is keep pointer references so that they span 'minimal'
> distances) compression will improve (more zeros in the 32bit pointers).

I wonder just how unreasonable it would be to do some bandwidth
minimization (approximately - minimize the sum of distances between
connected nodes) on the object graph. I read about a heuristic that
generally works in O(n), worst case (n^3)...

Order them nicely, translate the pointers to be relative, and hope you
get an improvement better than 2% for your trouble... ;-)

Daniel