Transactions in Squeak?

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Sun Jul 9 16:09:51 UTC 2000

> > MySQL (http://mysql.com) is currently using it for their
> transactions
> > support. Michael Olson of Sleepycat (mao at sleepycat.com)
> > recently proposed that the PostgreSQL team consider replacing
> > their backend (which he had worked on in a previous life) with
> > Berkeley DB. He seemed willing to negotiate special licensing
> > with the PostgreSQL team.
>
> Again, licensing...

The PostgreSQL has a very BSDish looking license.  I built a bug
tracking system on it a few years ago.  About 50 developers
and QA types pounded on it for a year (before I left).  I only
had one operator intervention in all that time, and it was definitely
my fault...

> There hasn't been much interest so far on this thread, I guess again
> reflecting in part the lack of emphasis on business us of Squeak.
> Transactions and archival data storage are fairly essential to many
> business uses, as Douglas Flower pointed out on the list a while back.

Business use of Squeak with transactions does not necessarily imply a
need for an open-source, no-strings-attached, embedded transaction system.
I can sell a Squeak application that connects to a commercial database
system without becoming encumbered by Oracle, Sybase, MS, etc.  A valid
license for the db is a prerequisite for using my software.  In many
business use cases, the customer requires connectivity to a particular
database.

It would still be interesting to have a high performance transaction
system integrated with Squeak.  It would be really interesting for me
if it supported dirty-reads and scaled to multiple terabytes.

-david