Squeak as Metaverse reminds me of something concrete...

Florin X Mateoc mateoc_florin at jpmorgan.com
Fri Jul 21 00:32:01 UTC 2000

Well, to quote from:

XML and the Second-Generation Web
                   The combination of hypertext and a global Internet started a
revolution.
                                           A new ingredient, XML, is poised to
finish the job
                                                                  by Jon Bosak
and Tim Bray

"use tags that say what the information is, not what it looks like".  Now, as
Mr. Clinton would say, it all depends on what IS is.

Let's see now, what could the information possibly BE ? And how could the tags
possibly say that ?

"Computers, of course, are not that smart; they need to be told exactly what
things are, how they are related and how to deal with them.
Extensible Markup Language (XML for short) is a new language designed to do just
that, to make information self-describing.
>From the outset, part of the XML project has been to create a sister standard
for metadata."

And another one:

"The ability to capture and transmit semantic and structural data made possible
by XML ..."

Now, could you please enlighten me how would XML (and its metadata siblings) do
all this without modelling the world ?
Because I would certainly be very interested in a simple solution to "telling
what the information IS" (assuming that we agree on what IS is)

Thank you in advance,

Florin

marcel at metaobject.com on 07/20/2000 07:07:14 PM

Please respond to marcel at metaobject.com