Celeste backup problem

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Fri Jul 14 18:19:37 UTC 2000

Hi,

the following has happened several times now:

1 - I read in a bunch of email with celeste, sometimes explicitly saving
it sometimes not (it seems celeste save to disk after 'fetch mail' which
is good)

2 - I manage to corrupt the Squeak process, for instance with something
that monotonically allocates objects

3 - I kill it from outside

4 - I start a new Squeak process from the latest image.

In this state the emails in the celeste in the image does not include
what is in EMAIL.message et al. I have found no way to update the
running celeste from the disk. Is this functionality missing or is there
something wrong with my procedures?

Once I deleted the celeste, in order to start a new one that would have
to read from disk, but then it saved on disk first and destroyed the
newest part of the disk mailarchive.

I guess this boils down to a few things I miss in celeste

1 - update a celeste from disk by explicit request.

2 - cancel a celeste without saving first (this can be done with 1 and
then normal exit but it seems a natural operation)

3 - perhaps some extra checks would be good, before changing anything on
disk, to protect from loss of data

4 - since celeste writes to disk at save/shutDown, perhaps it should read from or at least check
changes at startUp, in case the archive has progressed from another celeste in another image.

You wouldn't want me to miss the fun of 2) in the first list above would
you?
Thanks in advance for help.

/Mats