CVS structure

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at mail.merlintec.com
Fri Jul 7 17:58:13 UTC 2000

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Stephan Rudlof wrote:
> your mail program has eaten some tabs, I think...

A problem with copy/paste, actually. I replied only to Marcel by
accident, so I sent another message to the list and copied what I had
written before. For some reason this eliminates all leading spaces in
lines. It wasn't really that interesting, but here it is (fixed - I
hope):

Platform_mac
Platform_sparc
any/
	asm/
	fast_compiler/
	interpreter/
	lookup/
	memory/
	objects/
	os/
	parser/
	prims/
	runtime/
	sic/
	zone/
includeDB
m68k/
	lookup/
	prims/
	runtime/
mac/
	os/
	prims/
	runtime/
mw/
	runtime/
ppc/
	asm/
	fast_compiler/
	lookup/
	memory/
	prims/
	runtime/
	sic/
	zone/
sparc/
	asm/
	fast_compiler/
	lookup/
	memory/
	prims/
	runtime/
	sic/
	zone/
unix/
	os/
	prims/
	runtime/

I hope that is better. For those who care, "fast_compiler" is also
known as NIC (the non inlining compiler) and it generates non optimized
code very quickly. The SIC (simple inlining compiler) is slower, so it
is only called for methods that are used extensively (the "hot spots"
of the application) and it reads type information accumulated by the
code generated by the nic to generate very good code. The system can
actually run rather well without the SIC (which is "simple" only when
compared to the compilers in previous versions of Self) and so ports
tend to initially ignore it (the case for the PPC/Mac port). You don't
get the famous Self performance this way, unfortunately, but since you
should "make it run, then make it run fast" this is a reasonable
development path.

-- Jecel