CVS structure

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Fri Jul 7 18:16:22 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge wrote:

> I don't know if CVS allows links etc, but Eliot used to use a really
> neat directory structure for BrouHaHa where the 'real' files were split
> functionally and then platform directories were full of links to the
> appropriate files. Thus you can have your /includes, /macOSX, Acorn,
> /cpu/x86, /os/unix etc however you want and anyone wanting a macOSX for
> alpha can get everything from a directory with all that in one place.

It is possible to set up the CVSROOT/modules file so that getting
a module will get a sub-module. Sub-modules can thus be shared between
modules.

Symlinks, from what I've been able to read in the archives of
gnu.cvs.help,
kinda work, but can confuse things. And you'd have to have OS support
to make them work, which rules out Windoze.

Look in the Cedarkvist CVS doc in the appendix about the modules file,
especially in the part about ampersand modules.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com