Ship it with Squeak

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sat Jul 1 17:58:12 UTC 2000

At 11:08 01.07.00 +0200, Henrik Gedenryd wrote:

>As usual, there is a pretty big difference between what you can do in code
>and in the UI. Although my knowledge is no complete here, my impression is
>that there is a limit to one TextStyle per paragraph. Now a TextStyle
>contains an arbitrary array of StrikeFonts--in the vanilla image these just
>contain different sizes of the same 'font'. The terminology is difficult
>here, but a StrikeFont is essentially a bitmap with the different
>characters. So AFAI understand it (and I've tried it) you can just place
>SF's with different 'fonts' in the same TS and off you go. This is of course
>not an ideal situation today, but as usual I think the problem is that it's
>far from bad enough that someone will take the effort to improve it, so to
>speak. I'd guess the problem is that the TextScanner needs some fast
>primitives, and passing on a bunch of different TS's might be a problem in
>this respect.

This was the information I was looking for and even I'd call it a big hack
it's a clever way of working around the current limitations.  Thank you.

>Dunno. But don't let the interface fool you :)

This reminds me on a way I think the UI task force (or whatever they call
themselves) of the Gnome project goes.  If somebody reports a missing
feature which is actually already available, then it's a bug in UI.  Hidden
features are of no value.  So let's consider this as a bug report ;-)

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf